As a landlord letting a property, finding the right tenant can be your biggest challenge.
Whether you’re looking for a short term or long term tenant there are some indicators you can look out for.Short term let tenant indicators:
Long term let tenant indicators
- New to an area and not wanting to commit to a long let or property purchase
- Moving temporarily to an area for business purposes
- A job role that moves around for different projects
- A visitor from overseas on a short or medium term visa
- A previous history of long term lets
- Enrolment at a particular place of education (themselves or family member)
- Connections to the area, such as family or friends
- A permanent employment role
Background checks on your tenants give you access to valuable information including looking at their credit reports, criminal activities, and previous evictions. These can be followed up through fraud checks, references from employers, accountants and contacting previous landlords. There are plenty of tenant referencing firms who can carry out these checks for you.Signs of a good tenant
There are a number of qualities to look out for in you ideal tenant. Good tenants are likely to:
- Show a genuine interest in the property
- Take and make important phone calls accordingly
- Have a genuine and positive attitude
- Ask appropriate questions
- Give genuine answers to any questions you may have
- Identify specific queries with the contract early enough to discuss any amendments
- Have a good credit history
Different tenants have different needs so older tenants, for example, may have specific requirements that younger tenants wouldn’t have requested before such as a handrails and easy access to your property.
Click here for more information
on how we can help you as a landlord in Guildford and the surrounding areas, including Aldershot, Clandon, Cranleigh, Godalming, Horsley and Woking.